Tuesday, January 31, 2006

As I was working at the shop ( my friend Jim's "A Life Full of Books") where I work on the weekend, I was helping a mother and her son look at some of the antiques Jim also has for sale. They were looking at metal rod that looked like a spear with a globe on it. The bottom had a type of stand with a heavy braided copper wire coming from it. I asked the son if he knew what it was. He did not and his mother and I explained what it was and how it worked. I then asked him if he knew who invented it. He did not. I told him "Benjamin Franklin". He had never heard of him. I said " You have never heard of Benjamin Franklin?" to which his mother promptly replied that they don't teach that stuff anymore. A grade school child not knowing who invented the lightingrod or our modern postal service is a child that is missing out on something. Having been out of the school system for a couple decades I must confess I have no clue what they are teaching kids these days. I know my daughter is getting a great education, being homeschooled. Next time I get to visit her I will ask her if she knows who Benjamin Franklin is (was).

This list is for our future survival.
1)If you have children or grandchildren or friends who have children get involved and find out what is being taught in school these days.
2)Talk to those children and gain their trust.
3)Make sure you teach them what you want them to know that is not being taught.
4)Teach the children to learn because they want to.
5)Teach the children to question what they are learning.

Our future is in their hands;make those hands the best you can. Do not let media and a school board decide what is best for your child. If they do not teach history (from different perspectives) we are all doomed to repeat it.

Michael J. Kaer, President of Kaer Enterprises (.com),www.mikesworms.com, www.mjk-pivate-income.com and www.onthespotmassage.biz

No comments: