Thursday, April 03, 2008

Goats

If I had to pick one animal that would get me through a tough time, it would be goats. The goat herder in biblical times was able to survive on little more than goats. Goats can eat just about anything. I have seen one eat tarpaper off the side of our house when dad was fixing the house out on the farm. Goats do not like to be fenced in so the solution is either make a goat proof fence or let then roam around free. A few herd dogs could keep them together, but I would not bet on it. I plan on getting goats as soon as I move to the farm, that and some chickens. You can train the goats to haul small loads. You can use the milk to make cheese and eat the meat and use the skins for drums. All in all, they are the best bang for your limited buck in hard times. Grow enough of them and you can buy a horse or two. If you have land that is only good for pasture, goats are a natural choice. They also get along with horses just fine. The sooner I get my goats the sooner I have a source of milk,cheese,meat and skins for the cost of some time and effort and some scrub land.

What are your plans?

No comments: