Thursday, September 15, 2005

Hurricane Katrina
In the richest country in the world it took days to get to the people in New Orleans. I think that proves the point that most of these survival sites have been advocating for decades. In my research for my latest book I searched thousands of pages with people giving their knowledge or questions to be answered going back to the days of BBS posts.

Bug-out kit
This is the name used the most for the knapsack or gym bag filled with the most needed items to get through 3 days to a week. In it the suggestions list water, food and clothing as well as a good book and a deck of cards as the most needed items. Other suggestions are photocopies of all your important papers, credit cards and ID placed in a waterproof bag. If you lose everything, at least you have valid back up numbers to phone and get new ID and credit cards to where ever you get settled.
Water - 4 litres (about a gallon) a day per person
Food - 2000 calories per day per person, ready to eat (MRE's would be perfect for this)
Clothes- a change of clothes plus extra socks and underwear and extra shoes.
I would add a camping blanket and a small pillow as well as a piece of plastic or an emergency blanket ot 2. I would also add a swiss army knife, a can opener and a note pad (and pen) to write things down.
I am working on getting my kit together, but in the end it is going to weigh a ton. How much does 12 or more litres of water(3 gallons) weigh?(12 kilograms or 26.5 pounds!) Most people have it ready to toss in the car, but I would make it so it is easy to carry on foot. Cars break down or can't be used for several reasons.
I have a flashlight that has a radio built in and it can run on a built in solar panel, or a built in generator or regular "AA" batteries. That would be my choice as far as lights and radio equipment go. I have seen ones that has a shortwave radio as well as AM and FM that have the other features (minus the solar panel). That maybe the better choice in the long run. For now I will stick with what I have and upgrade if and when I can.
Single mothers or fathers with kids will have to make extra allowances and carry more since little ones can't carry 25+ pounds for long periods of time. I am modifying a golf cart to be able to carry extra and in a pinch could be used as a pole to drape the plastic over to make an emergency shelter. I am thinking way ahead!
I have more details in my book which will be ready for sale soon. The writing part is done, now it has to be proofed and the format converted to .pdf and images inserted.
Till next time...
Michael J. Kaer
President of Kaer Enterprises (.com)
and
michaelkaer@yahoo.ca

No comments: