Wednesday, September 07, 2005

What $75 can buy!
I just spent under $75.00 Canadian on mostly emergency groceries along with some milk, munchies and cheese. Here are the supplies I got.
1- 8kilo bag of long grain rice, 1-8kilo bag calrose rice (short grain-so I can make sushi!)
4 cans carrots, 4 cans peas, 4 cans corn, 4 cans mushrooms, 4 cans chicken noodle soup, 4 cans creme of mushroom soup, 2 tins flakes of ham, 2 tins flakes of chicken, 2 cans flakes of turkey, 5 bags of soup mix(pot barley,yellow and green split,yellow and green whole,green lentils and bean mix)( each bag makes about 12 cups of stew), 2- 400 gram bags of instant noodles, a 2 kilo bag of kidney beans, a 2 kilo bag of chick peas, 6-1.5 litre bottles of water, 2 cans of apple juice and a kilo tin of coffee.
All that (except the bottles of water) fit a 2 foot x 16inch x 16inch or metric 61 x 40 x 40 cm rubbermaid container with a lid. That takes up the tiniest corner of my computer room, under a table which was wasted space. I can make alot of meals with that small outlay of cash. Since I finished the book "What Money Can't Buy" (still not ready for sale- soon I promise) I have been setting aside a few dollars and buying emergency supplies. I have lots of batteries and re-chargers and a couple of working solar panels. I am going to buy many more as soon as possible.
I am going to get 2 back up batteries for the lap top and I already have an inverter to plug the laptop into when power goes down. I would like one of those foot pumped generators, but every time I have gone to the website , they are not in stock. I could make my own. A treadle sewing machine could be used to generate some small amount , as could a stationary bicycle. Wind generators will not work on my property since I am surrounded by tall trees.
It is that time of the year to put my order in for about 100 pounds of bee's wax. I just finished a small order of tea lights and I am using up all the left over wax I have, including parafin. I made 10 hobo stove fuel cells while I was working on the other order. If you do not know what hobo stoves are and the fuel cells I am talking about, Email me at my private email address michaelkaer@yahoo.ca . It is all in the book but you can't get it yet, so I will send you an email explaining it.
Thanks. Michael J. Kaer

No comments: